This weekend workshop on 1st and 2nd April will focus on how to write scripts that connect with other people, reaching into the deepest level of their being. We will explore practical writing techniques from this deeper perspective.
We will move beyond craft to discover how to write a script that sings.
Over the weekend we’ll look at:
- Creating characters that leap off the page with their fire, passion and humanity.
- The secret to story – how to focus on the real story – the emotional journey that underpins three act structure.
- Analysing the scene – how to write a great scene; common mistakes writers make.
- Capturing a living thing – how to edit your own work without making the final work lifeless.
- What to include in a great pitch, synopsis and treatment.
- Working in partnership with a script editor – how to make this partnership work for you.
- How to relax at a pitching meeting.
- Staying wild and free during the writing process, finding the courage to say what you need to say and therefore the freedom to inspire people to change.
For those who don’t know me, I’m an award winning screenwriter, playwright, poet and script editor. I won the Claddagh Film Script Award, the BBC Writersroom Undercover competition and was a top 10 finalist in the Red Planet Prize. I was selected for Channel 4’s Screenwriting Scheme and completed the pilot episode for an original serial. I’ve had two plays and a short film produced. I spent two years as a scriptwriter and story writer on RTE’s flagship drama, Fair City. I also wrote for the award winning teen drama Seacht. I spent eight years working as a BBC script editor and I have a Masters in Creative Writing. I’ve been facilitating writing workshops for twelve years and now mentor clients one to one.
I’m passionate about helping writers get their work into the world and not waste precious time.
Booking is essential as places are limited to 16.
Date: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd April
Venue: The Rose Room, 7 North Street, Belfast, BT1 1NH
Cost: £125. Early bird price of £100 if booked by 31st February.