I’m delighted to be part of the Irish Writers Centre Mindshift: Breaking Into Television day on Saturday 6th October at the Irish Writers Centre in Dublin.
My session on Writing Drama runs from 11.50am-1.00pm
In this session find out what all drama commissioners are looking for and how to write a script that stands out. We’ll also look at the importance of story and what a script is NOT. I’ll share my experiences of writing for both the BBC and RTE. I worked as a script editor with the BBC for 8 years and I’ll also share my insights from the script editor’s point of view. I’ll detail what’s required in a submission, and how to build a relationship with an editor. There’ll also be some short writing exercises to get you thinking more deeply about your writing.
The day also includes Writing Comedy with James Phelan and a Panel session with Heather Browning and James Phelan chaired by David Kavanagh.
Date: Sat 6 Oct 2018
Time: 10.30am – 4.00pm
Duration: 1 Day
Cost: €50/€40 Members
This weekend workshop on 1st and 2nd April will focus on how to write scripts that connect with other people, reaching into the deepest level of their being. We will explore practical writing techniques from this deeper perspective.
We will move beyond craft to discover how to write a script that sings.
Over the weekend we’ll look at:
- Creating characters that leap off the page with their fire, passion and humanity.
- The secret to story – how to focus on the real story – the emotional journey that underpins three act structure.
- Analysing the scene – how to write a great scene; common mistakes writers make.
- Capturing a living thing – how to edit your own work without making the final work lifeless.
- What to include in a great pitch, synopsis and treatment.
- Working in partnership with a script editor – how to make this partnership work for you.
- How to relax at a pitching meeting.
- Staying wild and free during the writing process, finding the courage to say what you need to say and therefore the freedom to inspire people to change.
For those who don’t know me, I’m an award winning screenwriter, playwright, poet and script editor. I won the Claddagh Film Script Award, the BBC Writersroom Undercover competition and was a top 10 finalist in the Red Planet Prize. I was selected for Channel 4’s Screenwriting Scheme and completed the pilot episode for an original serial. I’ve had two plays and a short film produced. I spent two years as a scriptwriter and story writer on RTE’s flagship drama, Fair City. I also wrote for the award winning teen drama Seacht. I spent eight years working as a BBC script editor and I have a Masters in Creative Writing. I’ve been facilitating writing workshops for twelve years and now mentor clients one to one.
I’m passionate about helping writers get their work into the world and not waste precious time.
Booking is essential as places are limited to 16.
Date: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd April
Venue: The Rose Room, 7 North Street, Belfast, BT1 1NH
Cost: £125. Early bird price of £100 if booked by 31st February.
I’m in a position to take on some new mentoring clients in July. I’ll take you through a 90 day one to one mentoring programme that is tailored specifically for you.
Over the course of this programme I’ll pass on all the technique, insights and insider information I’ve gathered over the years as both an award wining writer and during my 8 years as a script editor with the BBC.
I’ll help you to write in a way that connects with other people, reaching into the deepest level of their being. This heartfelt writing has the power to change people’s lives. We will explore practical writing techniques from this deeper perspective.
We will also look at tools to break through your self doubt and blocks, so you can get writing and stay writing.
We’ll look at how to:
– be a heartfelt witness to life, so you’re overflowing with ideas that you are passionate about.
– create characters who leap off the page with their fire, passion and humanity.
– focus on the essential essence of every story – making your character go on a heartfelt, inner emotional journey of change.
– capture a living thing. How to shape, edit and polish without making the final work lifeless.
– stay wild and free during the writing process, finding the courage to say what you need to say and therefore the freedom to inspire people to change
If you’d like to find out more, email me at deirdre.cartmill(at)yahoo.co.uk and we can arrange a time to chat.